Orthodontic treatment includes different types of appliances which can be fixed for a certain period or removed on a daily basis. Your orthodontist will suggest specific treatment based on the severity of your situation.
Treatments with fixed appliances include:
- Braces for teeth positioning.
- Special fixed appliances to control thumb sucking.
- Space maintainers to keeps the space of a missing tooth open until the permanent tooth erupts.
Treatments with removable appliances include:
- Aligners, an alternative for braces
- Removable space maintainers
- Jaw repositioning to the jaws to close in proper position
- Lip and cheek bumpers to keeps lips and cheeks away from the teeth
- Palatal expander widens the arch of the upper jaw
- Retainers prevent teeth returning to previous position
- Headgear prevents growth of upper jaw and pulls back the front teeth